- Wash your hands thoroughly cleaning the palms, backs, and fingers well. Some recommend a full 20 seconds of scrubbing. Dry your hands completely.
- Slowly peel the catheter package fully open to expose the entire catheter, but leave the catheter in the package. It is best not to place the catheter on an unclean surface.
- Clean the urethral opening and surrounding area with soap and water, a BZK wipe, or other wipe as instructed by your doctor or other informed medical professional.
NOTE: You may want to re-order Steps 2 and 3 to best suit you.
- Apply a water-soluble lubricant to the tip and first few (5 or 6) inches of the catheter. NOTE: Hydrophilic catheters do not need lubricant.
- Position yourself to drain urine into the toilet.
- Hold the penis up at a 60 or 70 degree angle with your non-dominant hand. With the fingertips of your dominant hand, slowly insert the catheter into the urethra until urine begins to flow. Continue until urine flow stops.
- Slowly withdraw the catheter with a gentle rotating motion. If urine restarts to flow, stop withdrawing until the urine flow stops. Continue that process until no urine flows.
- Complete the catheter withdrawal.
- Dispose of the catheter, packaging, and lubricant pack in a waste can.